II ShakkiNet International 2000
News from the tournament
- The tournament is over
- The organizers move to
play some chess themselves! :-)
Thank You all for watching ShakkiNet!
- 18.7.2000: Solozhenkin
- IMs Agopov and Sammalvuo from Finland tie for second place.
- 18.7.2000: Estonian
IM's share first place in IM-group
- 1-2. IM Kiik, IM Seeman 7/9 3. FM Nouro 6.
- 18.7.2000: Last round, lots of short draws
- Short draws are understandable, as the players are tired
after eight rounds of tough fighting and
Heart of Finland starts tomorrow in Jyväskylä.
- 18.7.2000: Decisive IM-norm for Nouro!
- Mikael Agopov made his final norm in I ShakkiNet International
in 1999, this year it was Mikael Nouro's turn.
- 17.7.2000: IM-norm for Mika Karttunen!
- Our best congratulations to Mika Karttunen, who scored an IM
norm with one round to go.
White starts scoring big in GM group
- GM Evgeniy Solozhenkin still leads, but Finnish players are not
far before the last round.
Favourites continue scoring in IM group
- Estonian IMs Seeman and Kiik share the lead before the last
round, in which they will play each other.
- Just a little tournament and player statistics after 7 rounds.
There is no need for any kind of critics, as the draw percentage is
- 17.7.2000: And then there were only four left ...
- Two rounds to go, Agopov needs to win both for GM-result,
Karttunen needs 1, Nouro 1,5 and Lampen 2 points for IM-norm.
Agopov and Yrjölä narrow the gap
- GM Solozhenkin loses to IM Sepp with white pieces and leads
now by half a point.
Estonian dominance in IM-group
- IM Seeman and IM Kiik at their own league.
- 16.7.2000: Mika Häkkinen wins Austrian F1 race
- Besides chess there are other Finnish sports news today:
Austrian GP by formula1.com
- 16.7.2000: Expected results available
- The results needed for every player to keep their current
ratings are available for both
- 15.7.2000: One must win and win to achieve the goal
- Six still
fighting but how many will make a norm? Three rounds left, Karttunen needs 2,
Nouro 2,5 Lampen, Agopov, Sammalvuo and Mäki-Uuro 3/3
A grandmaster draw in the top of the GM-group
- GM Evgeniy Solozhenkin continues impressively by holding draw
against GM Viktor Gavrikov with black pieces.
Seeman leads IM-group alone
- IM Tarvo Seeman from Estonia leads the tournament after IM Kalle
Kiik was beaten by Mikael Nouro.
- 15.7.2000: Fighting for norms continues
- Still eight players have
a change: Karttunen needs 2,5/4, Lampen 3, Agopov, Nouro, Mäki-Uuro 3,5
Sammalvuo, Norri, Koskela 4
- GM Evgeniy Solozhenkin from St. Petersburg is simply unstoppable
at the moment. Today he scored already his fifth win against GM Jouni
Kalle Kiik continues his winning series
- A round of tough fights in IM-group. IM Kalle Kiik from Estonia
won his fourth game in a row, and leads the tournament with 4,5/5.
Paparazzi style pictures from the tournament
- Many kinds of players, many kinds of faces...
Estonian IMs Seeman and Kiik continue winning
- In IM-group Estonian players lead with 3,5/4, but at least
players still have good chances for IM norms.
Solozhenkin and Yrjölä win again
- Evgeniy Solozhenkin and Jouni Yrjölä have so far made the tournament
difficult for norm seekers, as these two grandmasters lead the
tournament after 4 rounds. In the fifth round, however, they will
meet in the top game of the round.
Black is ok in GM-group
- In GM-group 3rd round continued with tough games. IM Sammalvuo
and GM Yrjola continued black's impressive results by winning their
- 12.7.2000: Round of draws in IM-group
- A collective warning to IM-group's player is relevant: four
draws in the third round, from which three were even short ones.
The second round with no draws
- The fighting spirit of the players is great, as in the
second round there were no draws in the GM-group. Joose Norri
and Evgeniy Solozhenkin lead with 2 points.
- 11.7.2000: Pictures from the tournament
- Mika Lako took some pictures from the playing hall. More to come soon.
Tournament has started
- The tournament has started, and already the 1st round
had some surprise results. There were some technical
problems with the website's game transmission, but they
are now resolved and the LIVE games function well.
- 10.7.2000: A second player change at the last minute
- Heikki Kallio from Finland cancelled his
participation, and this resulted in two player changes.
Mika Karttunen from IM group plays in GM tournament, and FM Timo Pirttimäki plays in IM group. Our
best thanks for Timo being a reserve player.
- 7.7.2000: Player change
- Kaido Kulaots from Estonia, who was supposed to play
in GM group, has withdrawn. He is replaced by young
Finnish player Sampsa Nyysti, who takes Kulaots' drawing
number. Unfortunately this means that the category of the
tournament can't be maintained, the new category is VIII
with GM norm 7,0/9.
- 1.7.2000: The drawing of lots is ready
- The drawing of lots was done by International
Arbiter Timo Oksanen for both
GM group and
The round by round schedules are available:
GM group match schedule and
IM group match schedule.
- 28.6.2000: The July 2000 ELO-list for Finnish players is published.
- 1. IM Olli Salmensuu 2458, 2. IM Heikki Kallio 2451, 3. GM Jouni Yrjola 2442, 4. IM Marko Manninen 2428, 5. IM Jussi Tella 2428. Ladies: 1. WIM Johanna Paasikangas-Tella 2301, 2. WIM Niina Koskela 2191, 3. WFM Tanja Rantanen 2120.
- 25.6.2000: Finnish championship tournament 2000
- Aleksei Holmsten won the Finnish championship tournament, which was played 9-21.6.2000 in the House of Chess in Helsinki. Results and games of the tournament as well as pictures from the playing hall are available.
- 19.6.2000: Player lists of GM- and IM-group confirmed
- GM-group is going to category IX, with GM-norm 6,5/9. IM-group is category IV, IM-norm 6,0/9.